Laughter is a Necessary Medicine

Finding humor in dealing with mental illness helps to lighten up difficult situations. Mental illness covers a broad ranges of illnesses, with some being more serious than others. Even if you have days where you feel in control of your illness, there are days when everything goes wrong and the way many of us choose to deal with it is to find the humor where we can.



In my world, my family is well-informed about mental illnesses. We have bipolar, depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder in our family. We compare notes about medications and symptoms. We try to be open and honest about our illnesses because education is the only way to reduce the stigma that is still attached to mental illness. We try to use humor to get through the rougher times and although some of us are more sensitive than others, trying to see the humor in the moment of "crisis" can help to make the sufferer see that it isn't the end of the world like they think it is.



For myself, struggling with depression and anxiety is a way of life. I have come to accept that, but without seeing the humor in things it would probably be a lot worse. My husband, who is extremely supportive, helps me to control my anxiety by using sarcasm and humor with me. It works because it stops me in my tracks and makes me reevaluate my reactions to situations. Knowing that he is coming from a loving place and not mocking me I am able to laugh at myself. Having a trusting relationship with someone can really help. Accepting what you cannot change is another key. Mental illness is a challenge and a way to learn more about yourself and grow as a person. It isn't always an easy road but it is never dull.



When I deal with family members who suffer from mental illness, it is a two-way street. There are times when I take on the role of supporter and often I use humor to lighten the mood. Listening and being supportive can be hard but I know that the role will be reversed probably in the near future. We have learned as a family to laugh about what we cannot change and we deal with our illnesses just as anyone else deals with whatever illness they have.

Reducing the stigma of mental illness is done when those who suffer from a mental illness or have loved ones or friends who do talk about it. Too many people are ignorant about what mental illness "looks" like. Little do most people realize but many people get treatment in silence, ashamed of their diagnosis and they walk amongst us. Too many people picture the mentally ill as a crazed lunatic who cannot fit into society. There are many different illnesses and many different degrees in the severity of any individual mental illness. There are many faces of mental illness.

Some mental illnesses can be lifelong struggles and others can be overcome in a year or less. It depends on what the illness is and how severe the symptoms are. A lot depends on the person. You cannot give up or give in. Learning to take life one day at a time and be grateful for your little accomplishments can help you to move on to the next day with hope.



http://www.bringchange2mind.org/index.php/learn-the-facts

No comments:

Post a Comment