Frustrations of Finding Quality Mental Health Care

I am no stranger to psychiatrists, psychologists and therapists of all kinds. I am the kind of person that when I get a splinter, I research everything about splinters. If I need medical attention, I get it but doctors are human and although they may have been educated about a certain subject, I will question them if I need to. It's my right.

In the state of New Jersey, as in many states across this country, mental health care is not easily accessible. In my county, there are not too many child psychiatrists that I have not seen. Time limits keep me from traveling an hour or more from my home to seek out care. Then, of course there are the restrictions of medical insurance. It isn't easy. And time is not on my side.

I know it takes time to properly diagnose mental illness. Too many disorders have symptoms that mimic other disorders. It takes a good doctor time to determine a diagnosis. When your "child" is a teenager, time is of the essence. When a teenager turns 18, they can stop their treatment. What often happens is that a young adult, frustrated by the system and the treatment process will turn to self-medicating. This leads to addiction and abuse. Unfortunately, it also can lead to suicide or accidental death.

After too many years of hearing stories from friends and my own experiences, I have had enough. It is not simple to find a competent doctor. I actually had a doctor turn my "child" down because it would require too much work to go through her history and treat her. Yes, I will be reporting this doctor. I have had so-called experts in their field write me a prescription without even seeing the child in question. I know that medication is often necessary but doctors just want to prescribe meds until we cannot think for ourselves anymore. Too many seem to think that controlling a mental illness is about turning the patient into a pill-dependent zombie. Not my child. No way.

I am a member of NAMI, and now I am even more inspired to get actively involved. I will be writing my state representatives about the problems with finding quality care for children, teens and adults. I will use my passions and throw them into writing for the cause of mental health care being more available.

Depression is a common, treatable mental illness. Most mental illnesses are treatable. It is just disgusting how hard it is to find someone in the profession who cares enough to listen to the parent, the patient and do what they took and oath to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment