Bipolar Disorder

While some might say that bipolar disorder or manic depression is overly diagnosed, recent studies show that the opposite is true. Because of how difficult it is to diagnose mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder, the truth is that it is under diagnosed.

Bipolar disorder symptoms are often seen in adolescents but because most people are unaware of what to look for, they do not get treatment until adulthood, if at all.

Researchers have now discovered more clues to determine who is at risk to develop bipolar disorder. The problem still remains that efficient diagnosis takes time. There is no "test" that positively determines that someone has bipolar disorder. In the meantime, the patient often self-medicates in order to cope with their symptoms.

If you lack health insurance, your chances of getting properly diagnosed lessen. Even with health insurance, you need to find competent mental health care. Because of the nature of bipolar disorder a doctor can easily miss an episode of mania in a patient and might diagnose depression. Treatment with an anti-depressant when a patient is bipolar can bring on manic episodes.

Although the latest research does give hope to better understanding bipolar disorder and educates people to look for risk factors and symptoms, we still have a long way to go to learn more about the hows and whys of bipolar disorder.

1 comment:

  1. I am bipolar I was diagnose with clinical depression I think I have taken every pill ever made for years. I stopped taking meds. about 8 years ago. I stopped thinking negative. It was a process and took time. Every-time I get a negative thought like your worthless. I ask myself who says. Then turn it around and tell myself that I can do more then most people so how can I be worthless. I simply changed my thinking. When I have a problem I think about how to fix the problem not sit there and feel sorry for myself.
    Great Blog I'll be back to read more thank you!

    ReplyDelete