Bipolar Hope

I watched a show on Investigation Discovery today about a mother who was searching for her adult daughter that had disapppeared. Enough time had gone by for the mother to feel very strongly that her daughter was most likely dead, but she still wanted and needed closure.

During the piece, the mother mentioned that her daughter had been diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder . This is not the first story I have heard about a young woman who disappears after falling off of her treatment program for bipolar.

Still, as a parent of a bipolar adult child, I have hope. What else can I do? I will never give up on my child. I know how strong I am and I have to believe that my strength is genetic. (my tendancy for mental illness was)

Today scientists, doctors and researchers have recognized that bipolar in children is very real. There have been documented cases of children as young as 5! The earlier someone is diagnosed with bipolar or any other disorder like anxiety or depression, the greater their success is of treatment.

Although my child was not diagnosed until adulthood, I still have hopes of her having a stable life. As any parent of a bipolar adult can identify with, when I watch programs about missing bipolar adults, I feel for the parent because I know their lives have been in turmoil long before their adult child disappeared. I hope that parent is never me.

No comments:

Post a Comment