Genetic Links to Mental Illness and Substance Abuse

Back in my grandparents' day, people didn't know much about mental illness. In fact, patients with bipolar disorder, or manic depression as it was more commonly referred to, were locked away in insane asylums. Some were even given lombatomies.

Anyone who suffers from depression, anxiety or any mental disorder eventually starts to look for a "reason" why they have the disorder. They may look for the genetic link by looking back on the behaviors of their relatives.

Many of us can trace the cycle back generations. If we look at how there was a high incidence of alcohol abuse, that in itself is a precursor to future generations having a mental illness. Back in grandma's day, self-medicating was how you dealt with undiagnosed (and unspoken) mental illnesses. It was just accepted that someone drank too much. No one would think about talking to a doctor about it and the term "psychiatric" help- well that was only whispered about.

Every family has their "skeletons". There is the family member that either secretly took "tranquilizers" or drank too much. Fast-forward to the present and because the times have changed, these descendents are now diagnosed and treated for their "demons".

We have come a long way in how we treat mental illness. Still there is stigma attached. That is sad but sadder when it keeps someone feeling shame because they have one of these ailments and that keeps them from seeking help. I prefer to think of it as a challenge. We all go through our lives with some kind of challenge. Diabetes, heart disease and other chronic conditions are challenges. Chronic depression, bipolar and even substance abuse should be seen as just another challenge we have to overcome.

As a parent of a child with a mental illness and a challenged person myself, I looked for where to place the "blame". When I studied my family tree and that of my child's, I had an "a ha" moment.

I also re-lived what my pregnancies were like with each of my children. My mental state at the time did affect my baby, more than I ever could have realized. I do not blame anyone for my "issues" or for my childrens.

The diagnosis is just a challenge and it is one that we can overcome by our own personal strength, drive and understanding of why. We each learn what we need to be able to cope with these personal challenges and if we do not let these challenges define us, we can live a better life without feeling shame.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this one...I needed to hear this today. Took a walk down memory lane to my first pregnancy and realized you are totally right on this.

    ReplyDelete