Hypnosis for Anxiety Control

Anxiety is irrational fears that threaten to consume a person until they are powerless over them.

After suffering from anxiety for years and trying "traditional" treatments, I discovered that there was a better way to overcome anxiety.

I had tried several anti-anxiety medications over the years and the results were always the same. After an initial period of side effects, the medication would help my symptoms for a period of about 3 months. The doctor would then increase the dosage and after a few more months I would wean myself off the drug.

When taking anti-depressants, I would always get to a place where I just felt emotionally numb. My sex life would suffer and I often felt depressed. I needed Xanax to sleep and on some days, I needed Xanax just to get through the stress of a work day.

Once I finally said no more medications and allowed my body to become free of the pharmaceutical drugs, I began to feel things again. It wasn't all pretty. I cried a lot. My anger sometimes was hard to manage. What really began to work for me was a combination of things.

I started to regularly take B-stress vitamins twice a day. I cut out coffee except for one cup a day.

I started to read a self-help book for overcoming anxiety. Most importantly, I decided to conquer my anxiety.

Believe it or not ( I sometimes still don't) I found hypnosis really made me turn a corner and get on the road to really finally beating anxiety.

Hypnosis is something that has always interested me. I read many books on it and was fortunate enough to have a friend who is certified (and also a psychologist). He first hypnotized me over the phone. YES. Over the phone.

He spoke to me and although I cannot quote what he said, I listened and all he asked was that I stay open to what he was saying.

After he was done, we hung up and I felt an inner "glow". I slept like a baby that night but for the next 2 days, I felt miserable. Moody is the best way to describe it.

Then on the 3rd day, I woke up and it was like the sun was shining for the first time ever. I felt glowing again. Soon it was time to put the hypnosis to a test. I had to be a passenger in my hubby's car in order to go see a concert with my daughter. I hate the Garden State Parkway. I have for a long time. Riding with my husband is another anxiety producing event. Although I was excited about making my daughter's dream come true to see a concert with her favorite Green Day, getting there was my issue.

Long story short, the ride was enjoyable. I didn't experience the all-too-familiar panic that I used to. I felt relaxed and almost excited. When we arrived I excitedly texted my doctor friend and thanked him. He reminded me that I held the power over the voice.

As time goes by, I remember the techniques that he taught me. I still get days where I am anxious for no apparent reason. I am not 100% "over" my anxiety. I am winning the battle though. When I am in a car and I start to feel those familiar feelings, I let them run their course. I do not give them room to breed and I focus my energy elsewhere. I use breathing to calm myself.

I don't try to fight with the voice that wants me to feel fear. I am stronger than it is. Sometimes it is like taking baby steps but I keep focused on my goal and I reach it. I don't let my anxiety cripple me like it used to.

If you suffer from anxiety, find the practice that is going to allow you to find your power. Practice it daily. Even if you are feeling good; don't ignore the practice. It will become a routine and your power over anxiety will grow stronger until one day, anxiety will be so far in your past that you will forget it ever existed.




1 comment:

  1. I have suffered from anxiety attacks for the last 17 years. Initially the attacks were severe and brought on by stress. They prevented me from driving. The Doctor gave me Xanax. The medicine is for short term treatment and is not meant for long term. I took it for two years and developed bad side effects. I need to stop the medication and went through horrible withdrawals. It took 1 year for the medication to get out of my system and for me to feel better. I find that natural treatment (medicinal herbs, arnica and a stress therapist has helped me greatly) Being hypnotized over the phone is interesting, I am glad you were friends with the therapist. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete